Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Don't You Forget About Me

Recognize the song title of this blog? It is the theme of the movie "The Breakfast Club", and from 1985 to 1989, I could not get this song out of my head. I would be listening to the boring History professor, and in my head all I could hear was this theme song. I would be waiting for my turn to hit the ball, and BOOM! There it is again!

I read somewhere that when you get a song stuck in your head, you need to mentally finish the song in order to stop the cycle. Well, I can't tell you how many times I FINISHED that song. I don't know what song these so called "experts" were listening to because that did NOT work for me. So, I tried a different approach: I started thinking of other songs. I know - brilliant, huh?

Fast forward to going to college, to getting married, and now to having children. These songs got gradually better in taste (according to My Mukor) until the children came. When I was pregnant with my LittleMan, I babysat my niece for a couple of weeks. AllThingsBD assured me that her daughter would love the music playing in her van. Sure enough, she loved those cute kid songs, but I found myself dreaming "When I build my house... I need some wood..."

That song lasted about 6 months in my head. Then I was on to Baby Einstein music when my LittleMan was born. Soon I wished for that day back in 1985 when Simple Minds started in my head, now I had cutsy classical. About 4 years pass, and I finally got back to current music. I loved having Imogen Heap, Sarah McLachlan, and Coldplay... then I bought a 2-cd set of School House Rock.

Ugh, can someone please tell me how to remove "Interjections!" from MY MIND? PLEASE?!

"Interjections! For excitement! And emotion! Halleluja! Halleluja! Halleluja-YAY! Darn! That's the end."

7 comments:

All Things BD said...

The one I got stuck in my head was the pronoun song, Rufus Xavier Sarsaparilla.

'Cause saying all those nouns over and over
Can really wear you down.

Tabitha Blue said...

Haha, that is too funny. There used to be one called "This is the Song That Never Ends," and anytime some little rascal started singing it... it would be in my head all day. I had forgotten, until now... thanks!

:)

Danielle said...

Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgcIpKL86Jk

Krissi said...

Thanks for the comments... his Daddy took that picture which is why he was smiling, he NEVER smiles for me, or like you said if he does have a smile its so fake it's not even funny!

Anonymous said...

Not a clue! You'd think life all by itself would take care of such a problem...now what does that mean?!

Sprite's Keeper said...

How about "Conjunction Junction, What's Your Function?"
I tend to get Sprite's kiddie songs in my head a lot. "Potty Time" is a personal favorite from Elmo's Potty Time. And now it's in my head again. You wanted that, didn't you?
Thanks for stopping by!

steenky bee said...

Wait...this challenge has a name. I forget what it is, but it's where you just keep hearing music over and over...the same tune. I have a similar affliction, but it's a need for those chocolate, waxy doughnuts at night. Over and over. Dang it!