Monday, May 4, 2009

Follow-Up

Before blogging on Blogger, I used to blog on MySpace... until I felt too old to be there. Frankly, moving over here was a God-send. I found people I could relate to and enjoy. I found a whole new world of friends from all different places with fascinating stories to share!

I was looking over some of my first blog entries, and for those of you who care (HI MOM!) I wanted to bring some closure to what has happened since then.

This exchange between myself and my then 2-year old BoopaLoop and 4-year old LittleMan illustrated so well the way children that age think. BoopaLoop was Ms. Nonsequitor and LittleMan was Mr. Literal. I'm glad I wrote about this, so I can be teleported back to who they were with ease... and appreciate all the more who they are growing into.

This story will always have a special place in my heart for two reasons: one, to remind me how much easier life is with children who are potty-trained, and two, to remind me that although moments like this with my LittleMan make my heart melt, I am raising a MAN who will understand that it isn't his responsibility to keep my emotional state in the "JOYOUS" column. However, I will cherish each of these moments since they are becoming rarer and rarer as he gets older.

It Is Just Funny (07/18/2007):
LittleMan doesn't ask the "what does this taste like" question much anymore; however, BoopaLoop is now the age my son was then, so she asks it all the time. We still answer "like monkey brains", but that just makes the kids laugh rather than acting as a deterrent. I am proud of our kids for being willing to try new stuff. I remember as a child we would go to Bob's Big Boy (remember that restaurant?!), and even when we were there for brunch I would order their hamburger, fries and hot fudge sundae. I really have no room to talk...

MamaDB and I held a garage sale last fall which was hugely successful. We did something brilliant (I think): we put all of the children clothes in different bins separated by size. Lining the inside of Mama's fence were several different bins labeled 0-3 months, 3-6, 6-9, 9-12, 12-18 months, 18-24, 2T, and 3T.  When I was telling other friends that we were holding a garage sale, they warned me that clothes don't sell - perhaps they meant adult clothes. And, I have to say that the image I described while holding a garage sale was dead on.  Mama and I had a blast (with a few creepy exceptions), sitting under her beautiful tree, drinking Diet Pepsi and enjoying the moments. The sad part is my garage is still full of garage sale items. How do I amass so much junk stuff to sell?

I am really disappointed that my children are too old to do this anymore. I don't remember exactly when they became too old, but suddenly they started listening to what the other person was saying. It was great when they didn't understand how a telephone worked. Now I'm back to my usual tactics with telemarketers: call screen or hang up during their monologue.

2 comments:

Carolina said...

I'm still laughing about your run-in with the telemarketer. So there are pros to having toddlers around...And I'm with you on the messages, the older I get, the less I want to talk on the phone.
Oh, and so sorry to read about that bathtub incident.

Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to catch up on your blog. I just connected with you recently and just LOVE your outlook on life and child-rearing. Can't wait to catch up with ya, especially after these tantalizing tidbits (and you're welcome for the alliteration).